Housing & Transportation – Access to Services
Objective: Increase the availability and accessibility of housing through partnerships, education and training
- Create a partnership between the New Canadians Centre and the Housing Resource Centre
- Hire a settlement worker whose focus is housing
- Identify landlords who will accept New Canadians Centre references for new renters / Assist immigrants in overcoming a lack of credit history which is a barrier to obtaining rental housing
- Develop a continuum of support for housing access
- Provide landlors with education and sensitivity training
Research Project on Newcomer Friendly Housing Practices: Through a Trent Centre for Community-Based Education (TCCBE) project, two Trent students are engaged to assist us and the Community Counselling and Resource Centre (CCRC) to better understand the challenges faced by newcomers in Peterborough area when accessing housing. The research project will explore and determine solutions that both PPCII and CCRC can offer to these barriers and promote best newcomer-friendly housing practices in Peterborough area. Project implementation will take place from January – May 2012. For additional information on this project, please contact Safo Musta.
Housing and Transportation Community Liaison Project: Early in 2011, the PPCII granted the Community Counselling and Resource Centre (Housing Resource Centre) monies to conduct research and create a job description profile, and duties of a Newcomer Community Liaison. Currently, the Housing Resource Centre and the PPCII are researching opportunities to fund this position.
What You Can Do to Get Involved!
The PPCII is looking to partner with any organization interested in supervising housing and transportation projects for Trent Centre for Community-Based Education (TCCBE) Projects. If your organization has a particular expertise in housing and/or transportation, and would like to supervise a project that involves researching the housing needs of newcomers, please contact the Project and Implementation Specialist.
Return to the Interactive Action Plan!